Midland Mains Solar Services supply and install quality Solar PV (photovoltaic) systems within domestic dwellings across the Midlands.
- Comprehensive installation
- Performance checks on existing systems
- Preventative maintenance
- Fault finding and rectification
What is Solar PV and the Government incentive scheme FIT
Solar panel electricity systems, also known as solar photovoltaics (PV), capture the sun’s energy using photovoltaic cells. These cells do not need direct sunlight to work and still generate some electricity on a cloudy day. The cells convert the sunlight into electricity, which can be used to run household appliances and lighting.
If you generate your own electricity using a quality system installed by Midland Solar Services your energy supplier will pay you money. This is called a ‘Feed-in Tariff’ (FIT).
How the scheme works
The Generation Tariff
The FIT or “Feed-in Tariff” was set up as a government incentive to help meet the Kyoto agreement and reduce green house gases. By generating your own electricity for domestic consumption you lower your own carbon foot print and help ease the strain put on the nation grid/power stations by modern day living and amenities. As a direct result your monthly bills will be reduced. You will receive a set amount for each unit (kilowatt hour or kWh) of electricity you generate. The rates vary depending on:
- the size of system we are able to install (available space for solar panels)
- what technology is installed
The Export Tariff – Selling back unused electricity
As well as the generation tariff (money paid for generating your own electricity) you can also sell any extra units you do not use straight back to your electricity supplier. This is called the ‘export tariff’.
You will receive 4.5p per unit of electricity: for solar panels where you applied for FIT on or after 1 August 2012.
The benefits of solar electricity
- Cut your electricity bills: sunlight is free, so once you’ve paid for the initial installation your electricity costs will be reduced.
- Get paid for the electricity you generate: the government’s Feed-In Tariffs pay you for the electricity you generate, even if you use it.
- Sell electricity back to the grid: if your system is producing more electricity than you need, or when you can’t use it, you can sell the surplus back to the grid.
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar electricity is green, renewables energy and doesn’t release any harmful carbon dioxide or other pollutants. A typical home solar PV system could save over a tonne of carbon dioxide per year – that’s more than 30 tonnes over its lifetime.
A 3.5kWp Solar pv photovoltaic system can generate around 3,000 kilowatt hours of electricity a year. This equates to about three quarters of a typical household’s electricity needs.
Your installed system could generate savings and income of around £645 a year (based on a 3.5kWp solar PV system eligible for a generation tariff of 15.44p/kWh). You will get paid for both the electricity you generate and use, and what you do not use and export to the grid. When applying for FITs (feed in tariff) you will need to show evidence of your property’s Energy Performance Certificate and this will affect what tariff you can get.
The average domestic solar PV system is 3.5 to 4kWp. Typical costs including all equipment and installation rang from £5,500. Costs have fallen significantly over the last year due to better equipment production and lower manufacturing costs. Your domestic solar PV photovoltaic system will be guaranteed by the manufacturer for 25years.
Other factors that affect PV installation costs are:
- The more electricity the system can generate, the more it costs but the more it could save.
- Larger systems are usually more cost-effective than smaller systems (up to 4kWp).
- PV panels are all around the same price per kWp, but PV tiles cost much more than a typical system made up of panels.
- Panels built into a roof are more expensive than those that sit on top.
How much could you receive?
Use the Energy Saving Trust calculator to estimate how much you could earn using the FIT scheme and selling unused energy back.
Call now for a FREE no obligation quotation.
Tel: 07811 160 400 or 01543 279498 Email: email@example.com